General Education Governance Board
Cal Poly's general education (GE) program is the administrative responsibility of the General Education Governance Board (GEGB), GEGB should function like a department with a deep sense of interest and responsibility for overseeing and implementing the GE program. The General Education Governance Board (GEGB) is responsible for leading and developing a visionary, high quality GE program that enriches the specialized knowledge acquired in a major program with foundational and integrative understanding of its scientific, humanistic, artistic, and technological contexts.
- Discuss impact of Q2S conversion on GEGB policy and procedure and draft revision plans as needed. Ongoing through conversion
- Review and modify committee procedures and bylaws as needed. Ongoing
- Review curriculum proposals, including proposals for semester conversion. Ongoing
- Work with campus stakeholders to coordinate course proposals with semester conversion guidelines and timelines. Ongoing through conversion
- Work with campus stakeholders on implementation on AB928. Ongoing
- Suspend C/D upper division GE recertification. Communicate to college and departmental curriculum committees about guidelines for recertification during semester conversion. Ongoing
- Review and approve GE course proposals.
- Place GE curriculum proposals on the Academic Senate consent agenda after consultation with the Academic Senate Curriculum Committee.
- Engage in appropriate assessment activities. Be proactive and responsive to the results of assessment activities.
- Conduct a GE academic program review on the same cycle as other programs. Findings will be presented to the college deans and the Academic Senate. The GEGB needs to be proactive and responsive to the recommendations that result from academic program review.
Winter Quarter 2023: Fridays 9:10am -10:00am via Zoom
Two faculty members from each CLA and CSM, one faculty member from each of the remaining colleges including PCS, one student, and a GEGB Chair. All are voting members, with the exception of the GEGB Chair, who has a tie breaking vote only). Ex Officio, non-voting members include one representative from the Office of the Registrar and one representative from Academic Programs and Planning.
|Name||Department||College/Unit||Office Phone||Email (@calpoly.edu)||Exp. Term|
|Bailey, Helen||Evaluations||Admin||66313||hbailey||EO (Ofc of Reg)|
|Guerra Silva, Rafael||Industrial Tech&Pkg||OCOB||rguerras||2023|
|Morris, Andrew||Provost's Ofc||Admin||62761||admorris||Of counsel|
|Nuttall, Brent||Arch Eng||CAED||67631||bnuttall||2024|
|Stegner, Dustin (CH)||English||CLA||61277||pstegner||2026|
|Tubeileh, Ashraf||Plant Sciences||CAFES||62870||atubeile||2025|
|Walpole, Toby||Student||ASI||61281||twalpole||EO (ASI)|
AS-941-22 Resolution on AB 928 and CSU GE Golden Four - President Armstrong acknowledged July 19, 2022
AS-938-22 Resolution on AB 928 and Common GE Pathway - President Armstrong acknowledge July 19, 2022
AS-936-22 Resolution on Educational Objectives and Criteria for Study Abroad Courses in Languages other than English
AS-930-22 Resolution on Temporary Adoption of a 3-Year Catalog During Quarter-to-Semester Conversion - President Armstrong acknowledged and approved February 15, 2022
AS-926-21 Resolution on General Education and Languages other than English
AS-914-21 Resolution on Subject Area Guidelines for General Education Area F: Ethnic Studies - President Armstrong approved March 12, 2021
AS-913-21 Resolution to Establish Area F in the General Education 2020 Template - President Armstrong approved on March 12, 2021
AS-889-20 Resolution on Subject Area Guidelines (II) for General Education 2020 - President Armstrong supported on April 22, 2020
AS-883-19 Resolution on Updating the United States Cultural Pluralism (USCP) Criteria - President Armstrong endorsed resolution on January 16, 2020
AS-882-19 Resolution on Updating the Diversity Learning Objectives - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and support on July 3, 2019
AS-879-19 Resolution on Subject Area Guidelines (I) For General Education 2020 - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and support on July 3, 2019
AS-873-19 Resolution on Template for General Education 2020 - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and support on May 6, 2019
AS-858-18 Resolution on Course Criteria for GWR-Certified Upper-Division Courses Across the Curriculum - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and approval on December 6, 2018
AS-851-18 Resolution on Migration of Current Area D4 Classes to Area E - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and approval on July 20, 2018
AS-850-18 Resolution on Creation of Area B7 and Migration of Current Area F Classes - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and approval on July 20, 2018
AS-787-14 Resolution on Sustainability - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt on August 18, 2014
AS-742-12 Resolution on General Education C5 Elective - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and approval on February 28, 2012
AS-740-12 Resolution on Changes to the Academic Senate General Education (GE) Governing Board Policy - President Armstrong acknowledged receipt and approval on February 28, 2012
AS-713-10 Resolution on the Establishment of an Academic Senate General Education Governance Board - President Baker acknowledged receipt and approval on June 18, 2010