Distinguished Teaching Award
The 2019-2020 DTA Nomination Period October, 2019
Nominees will be announced in Spring Quarter.
The Distinguished Teaching Award was established to recognize faculty members who demonstrate excellence in teaching at Cal Poly. Given the mission of the University, this prestigious award represents an enormous honor to those selected to receive it. The award is especially significant since only students and alumni – those who have been touched by the faculty – are eligible to submit nominations. The rigorous evaluation process is conducted by peer faculty members and is based on reviews of written documentation and extensive in-class visitations. The University takes great pride in thanking award winners at several important public events, highlighting the crucial role that great teaching plays at Cal Poly.
Any student or alumnus may submit one or more nominations, which includes the professor's name, department, and a supporting statement containing evidence of merit based upon criteria below.
- Content and quality of material presented
- Teaching procedures that contribute to student interest, enthusiasm, achievement, and that stimulates thinking
- Techniques that show excellence in teaching
- Innovative instructional approaches
- A high degree of interaction with students
- High personal and professional standards
- Clear and well-organized activities, lectures, or labs
- Concern for individual student success
- Fair, rigorous methods for evaluating students' progress, evidence of significant professional development as it relates to teaching excellence
Only full time tenured faculty members teaching during this academic year who have not previously won the award are eligible.
To nominate, students must have a university email account in their name and indicate their major, email address, and a telephone number for verification.
The Distinguished Teaching Award is supported financially by the Cal Poly Alumni Association.
2018-2019 Award Recipients
Mechanical Engineering, CENG
Previous Distinguished Teaching Award Recipients
List of faculty members who are currently working AND not eligible for nomination
Complete List of Distinguished Teaching Award Recipients
All faculty who have received the award (currently working or retired)
|MacCurdy, Carol||Martinez, William|
|Miller, Charles "Tad"||Miller, Michael||
|Mullisen, Ronald||Munoz-Christian, Karen||
|O'Bryant, Camille||Pedersen, Mary|
|Roy, Soma||Russell, Craig||
|Slem, Charles||Smidt, Robert|
|Taylor, Emily||Taylor, Kevin J|