Distinguished Teaching Award
2015-2016 Nomination Period starts October 19, 2015
The Distinguished Teaching Award was established to recognize faculty members who demonstrate excellence in teaching at Cal Poly. Given the mission of the University, this prestigious award represents an enormous honor to those selected to receive it. The award is especially significant since only students and alumni – those who have been touched by the faculty – are eligible to submit nominations. The rigorous evaluation process is conducted by peer faculty members and is based on reviews of written documentation and extensive in-class visitations. The University takes great pride in thanking award winners at several important public events, highlighting the crucial role that great teaching plays at Cal Poly.
Any student or alumnus may submit one or more nominations, which includes the professor's name, department, and a supporting statement containing evidence of merit based upon criteria below.
Criteria for the award:
- content and quality of material presented
- teaching procedures that contribute to student interest, enthusiasm, achievement, and that stimulates thinking
- techniques that show excellence in teaching
- innovative instructional approaches
- a high degree of interaction with students
- high personal and professional standards
- clear and well-organized activities, lectures, or labs
- concern for individual student success
- fair, rigorous methods for evaluating students'''' progress, evidence of significant professional development as it relates to teaching excellence
Only full time tenured faculty members teaching during this academic year who have not previously won the award are eligible.
To nominate, students must have a university email account in their name and indicate their major, email address, and a telephone number for verification.
The Distinguished Teaching Award is supported financially by the Cal Poly Alumni Association
2014-2015 Award Recipients
Previous Distinguished Teaching Award Recipients